Unity Mining recognises that managing our impacts on the environment is a crucial part of our business now and into the future.
Our mines are located in environmentally sensitive locations which require that our operations are carefully managed in accordance with the principles of sustainable development. We share an understanding of sustainable development that is now widely accepted by governments and communities, that is development that “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” (Our Common Future, Brundtland 1987).
For a mining company this means that the project should be environmentally sound, socially responsible and financially profitable.
We are committed to operating our mines in line with leading industry practices. Our approach to environmental management includes:
- An integrated Health, Safety, Environment and Community Policy
- Environmental management systems in place, aligned to ISO14001
- Implementation of comprehensive environmental monitoring programs
- Signatory to the Australian Minerals Industry Framework for Sustainable Development: Enduring Valut
- Annual Sustainability reporting to communicate our environmental performance and key initiatives
- Providing sponsorship for community initiatives that deliver environmental or social benefits for the local community